The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc. has undertaken a new project: the restoration of the Bradford Denton house built about 1760 on property near Fishing Creek in Halifax County, North Carolina on land owned by Col. Bradford, a delegate to the 4th Provincial Congress where the Halifax Resolves were adopted. His son Henry Bradford lived in this home with his wife Sarah Crowell Bradford along with their family.

Rev. Henry Bradford was a Revolutionary War Soldier and early Methodist minister. He founded Bradford's Chapel and held Methodist camp meetings on his property. Bishop Francis Asbury was a frequent visitor to the Bradford home, and records show services were held in the Bradford house. Rev. Henry Bradford was also an early educator in Halifax County, having operated Bradford's Academy in the early 1800s.

The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc. has moved the Bradford House to Historic Halifax for restoration to its 1790 appearance.

The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of historic buildings and properties within the town of Halifax, one of North Carolina's most influential colonial towns.

Halifax, North Carolina is heralded as a forerunner in our country's independence, making it one of the most historically significant places in the United States of America.

Delegates to the 4th Provincial Congress, assembled in Halifax, North Carolina, took unflinching and courageous action in adopting the Halifax Resolves on April 12th, 1776. This first official action unified the 13 American Colonies, culminating in the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. This call for independence from Great Britain brought about the American Revolution and the birth of our nation.

Please help us preserve our nation’s earliest history by saving and restoring the home of one of these brave patriots, Col. John Bradford, who was a member of the 4th Provincial Congress that drafted and adopted the Halifax Resolves.

Col. Bradford’s home, the Bradford-Denton House, was built circa 1760. It may be one of the few remaining buildings still in existence that were home to delegates to the 4th Provincial Congress.

A substantial amount of 18th century architectural fabric remains. It is our goal to restore the Bradford Denton House to its 1790 appearance, that of a 2-story gambrel roof home, as a monument to our nation’s brave patriots and the people that stood up and fought for our freedom.

We kindly ask for your support and tax-deductible contributions for this project. We would also greatly appreciate your help and involvement in any manner in promoting the restoration of the Bradford-Denton House.

Additional information